Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread

Burning realistic clouds

I am trying to start a new project. I have done some burning in the past ,but nothing very meaningful. I want to do a barn and old car scene similar to the one of Irish"s Not sure how to do clouds for something like this.

Re: Burning realistic clouds

Without seeing your base art, my best advice: "go low & slow." Build-up your shading in layers, starting with a very low temperature. I'd also recommend getting a clip-on style magnifying glass so you can really get in there & see how the paper texture changes. If you make a boo-boo (and who doesn't?) with a razor's edge lightly scrap away any mistakes or over-burns, being careful not to damage the paper. Hope that helps a little.
      Cate McCauley
      Pyrographic Illustrations
      Web Site: catemcc.com

One trick I seen someone do some time ago (on some online forum somewhere), was to use a propane torch. Of course, he/she was doing a night scene with a wolf in the foreground, pine trees in the background, and a moon in the sky.

He/she used a tin can to mask out the moon, and then used the propane torch on a low setting to "very evenly" darken the sky. Then he/she removed the tin can, and used a ball tip I think, to put craters on the moon.

Next he/she went back to using the propane torch, but unevenly, to make the dark clouds, some of which went over the moon, so as to give it perspective. According to him/her, it didn't take much time to do, and the picture I seen showed great results.

Obviously, you'll need a propane torch head that is very adjustable and with a steady output (some aren't). The torch works nice, as it give an effect almost like using an airbrush, in that there are no hard defined edges, but rather very fuzzy edges.

From what Cate indicated, you might be working on paper? The above technique was done on basswood, and I'm not sure it would even work on paper (have your fire extinguisher handy if you try it on paper ;-).

I think for a day time scene, you would do something similar, but inverted. That is to say you would lightly darken the background sky a little bit with the propane torch very evenly, and the "white" clouds are where you didn't go with the torch. I don't know if it is possible to use the torch to put the subtle folds and whatnot "inside" the clouds themselves or not (the inner cloud textures). I guess you'll just have to experiment to find that out....

Otherwise, Cate's advice (low & slow) is what I'd follow using a standard woodburner.

Let us know, and see, what you come up with.
      Pat Lamusga
      PJL Enterprises
      www.carvertools.com

What I was refering to is what type of pen to use for that type of application

Okay.... then I'd use a smooth tip, something that's spoon-shaped or perhaps ball-point tip.

The goal is for smooth sky since you're really not burning the clouds & nice transition from sky to white highlight of cloud edge. Of course, it's all very subjective to your style & what you're trying to achieve.

Another idea: Since it's on watercolor paper think about using a light sepia-toned watercolor wash (or sponge technique) to create your sky & clouds. Here's an example of one I did recently: http://www.woodburningillustrated.co...urch-final.jpg

Hope this helps to get your ideas flowing. Let us know how you make out.
      Cate McCauley
      Pyrographic Illustrations
      Web Site: catemcc.com