Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using French Curves to create decorative designs.

Designing with French Curves Introduction.

You can, using various sized Compasses, create some very nice symmetrical designs for burning.
      Designs can be worked out on paper, then re-graphed to the wood still using the same tools as used on the paper design. I gave an example of this on a page on this site.

However for smaller designs on say a tea coaster, it is sometimes difficult to do this, as the needle point of the compass often has to be off the wood and the pencil end on it. This is where I developed using French Curves.

They are useful for small and large designs like these below.

Pictures 1 to 4

For those not familiar with French curves, I have posted a picture below of the ones I have used for some years now, though they come in all sorts of sizes and materials.

Picture 5
      Attached Images Attached Images
      The Journey Is Everything.
      http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Re: Using French Curves to create decorative designs.

All that is needed are some guidelines, some reference markings for aligning the curves, an imagination, a ruler, a pencil and some French curves.

Below are some designs that I did in 2004, and I will later show the steps in graphing them out ready to burn.

Pictures 6 to 9

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Creating Designs Using French Curves.

Part Two: Creating your Design.

The first step is to create a square (Or circle if creating a design for a circular item) and finding the centre. In the example below Picture 10, I have created a square 10 Cm on a side (Close to 4 Inches) and drawn lines from corner to corner. I also have measured half way across each side and marked the line, then created lines from Top to Bottom and Left to Right. This drawing represents a square coaster or design element on a box or piece of flat work.

These will be your guide lines, and in the example below I have drawn them quite dark so that you can see them, but when you do this they need to be quite light.

Next I have measures and marked around the edge a series of dots 1 cm apart that I can use for grid lines. I have created 4 grid lines from 8 of these marks. Again I have created them darker than needed for you to see clearly. Picture 11

The next stage to follow will be using the french curves to create a pleasant design.

P.S. should any stage or element in this tut need some clarification, feel free to ask.
      Last edited by Sunlion; 02-22-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Additional info

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Last instalment for today, I will show how to create your curves.

Okay so far?

Right now, I will lay down one of my French curves and position it for a curve that will represent a leaf shape or a petal shape, all depending on what I have in mind. Or you could just experiment and create something random.

First I lay down the curve and line it up on the centre and the corner, then place two small pieces of in this case, masking tape. This will allow me to line up all the curves the same as I move around the grid should I wish to be symmetrical in my design, which in this example I do. Picture 12

I could equally do it using other parts of the grid as below in picture 13

Once I have my tape guides lined up with my grid lines in a position I like I draw a line. (Read on to the end of next posting before trying this for some advice) (limits on number of pictures means I have to split this portion of the tut)

I have Drawn a line for each of the examples above to show how you get different results.

Using the example in picture 12 I create this line Picture 14.

Using the example in Picture 13 I get Picture 15

I then flip over the curve in order to create a line that mirrors the last one. Picture 16

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Some great ideas here, Steve, thankyou.

I bought some French Curves ages ago but haven't got around to using the bloomin' things. I'm now inspired, so I'll see if I can find 'em (LOL) and come up with some ideas of my own.
      Lesley
      Bedfordshire, England

www.wydon.co.uk

.......continued

Again draw your line and you will have a symmetrical shape.

Examples of both are below in Pictures 17 and 18.

Two things to be aware of when lining up and drawing the actual lines.

1)Ensure the tape does not overlap to the edge of the French curve, as your pencil will hit it and throw you off or cause your curve to move.

2)My curves are perspex, and the light for the photography is to the left. This creates a shadow to the right of my curve and can (as happened to me doing this tut) make your eye believe you are lined up, when in fact I was short of the edge. So ensure your light source is on the side to be ruled, or turn your work so that you can see the junction of your curve to your guide line. An overhead light source of course would be best option. I am using an anglepoise light to the left so I need to take this into consideration.

Another way around this problem is to lay your pencil down and slide your French curve up to meet it as you position your curve, this ensures you are lined up correctly to draw your curve.

In the next instalment I will create two symmetrical patterns using the examples given, then go on to show you how to add extra elements.

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Aye, Lesley they are very useful once you find a way to utilise them. It took me some trial and error back when i first started using them, but you can get some good simple, or very complex results.

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

By the way, you can also mark the curves witrh a thin marker pen or pencil, but need to take care you do not rub them out through use. I prefer tape for this reason, though do as mentioned above, make sure the tape does not interfere with pencil travel down the edge.

I will go into more design tomorrow.

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

French curves huh.....I have them...somewhere on my desk....never thought of using them....lol
      Thanks for a great tutorial Steve !
      Frieke

www.friewoodart.webs.com

Look at the Galleries to see my pictures....
      Visit Frieke's Gallerie

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present

Great Tutorial Steve - yup, those french curves are indeed handy pices of equipment