Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: New Burnmaster pen and tips

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlion View Post
      I use a Burnmaster pen and various burnmaster, Razer and Colwood tips on it through my Colwood detailer machine. It is thicker than most pens I use apart from the janik which is also thick, so I am pretty used to that. It is formed so that it can be used left or right handed and I find it okay, as said I am used to the fatter pens.

I am currentl as it happens using the BM pen today doing dark background burn for the March challenge. I have it on the Colwood setting of 4 (UK Voltage is 240v, so may be hotter on 4 than it's US counterpart?) and it is getting hot, but again I am used to that with the old Janik pen I and machine I used to use daily.

I have contemplated giving it some extra Insulation protection somehow, (Foam, pipe lagging), but it being fat already I am not sure if it would then be too fat for comfort.

I do like the pen from BM however even given its heat. The Optima pens that Sue reviewed in her WIP looks a good solution, and I am sure it would work with your BM machine if the cable is the same, plus they do an adapter also on the BM site. Sue mentioned that the Optima pen kept it's cool throughout her project.

If I was going to buy a new machine, I would very seriously consider either the BM or the Optima II. (They do a european voltage version too)

P.S. if using Optima pens on UK voltage machines, I would consult with them to ensure that the pens they export are suitable for Eoropean voltage before purchase.
      Steve
      That has been the problem with older model Burmaster. I used to see students tips melt in class (Colwood, Nibsburner, Optima & Razertip). I stopped selling them for that reason BUT their new models supposedly have a safer way to use pens designed for 2 volt system.

It's best to use compatible pens/burner. Optima is really not compatible with the older BM and chances are you could burn out the tip..

If you don't want to invest in new burner try Detailmaster pens. That is what BM was designed to work with originally.
      Last edited by Nedra; 03-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Nedra,

I only last week took delivery of a new wire tip machine to replace my old Janik. It's a Davan, not available on the net. So that is one machine type upgraded from a simple 4 heat setting Janik I used for 10 years.

I am quite happy with the Colwood detailer I have and use that with its own pens and tips, alternating at times using a BM pen and various Colwood, BM, Razer and wire tips. Maybe later in the year I will look to getting something european to replace the Colwood, (7-8 years old? can't recall) but still undecided as yet.

I love the vesatility of having one of each type of machine and the Colwood is still good at what it does. It's just the high cost of importing spares and tips really that makes me consider replacing it in the future for a european machine. hehe tightwad <------.

Steve
      The Journey Is Everything.
      http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Blog Entries

Keith, I use the Burnmaster Hawk and love it. If the current or factory set tempture range is too hot for you, the is an adjustment for the heat range. Use the allen wrench that came with the unit. Unplug the unit and insert the wrench into the adjustment hole that is just above #3 on the temp dial. Rotating it to the right or left will increase or decrease the tempture range. If you don't have the wrench and instructions you can contact Woodcarvers Supply and they cand advise you on temp adjustment. Their site is www.woodcarverssupply.com. I deal with them a lot and they are most helpful. Good luck and good burning.

I have an older unit that does not have the adjustment. To my knowledge it has no adjustment. Thanks for the info though.
      Keith

Blog Entries

You might be able to plug the unit into a router speed controller (can get them at Harbor Freight Tools for about $10) and use it to set your heat ranges. Worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by naturaledge42 View Post
      You might be able to plug the unit into a router speed controller (can get them at Harbor Freight Tools for about $10) and use it to set your heat ranges. Worth a try.
      Actually you shouldn't try that. You'll be controlling one "phase control" circuit with another "phase control" type of circuit, which usually doesn't work too well most of the time. At the very least, you'll screw up any semblance of linearity your burner had, and at worst you may actually cause the burner's circuit to misfire and/or destroy itself or the transformer.
      Pat Lamusga
      PJL Enterprises
      www.carvertools.com

I have 3 units with the transformer & don't use them. My source says the transformer 'regulates' the heat, so it can 'spike' or 'cool down' even though it's set at a certain number. If you want to continue using your tool, before setting it down, lose that 'spike' of heat on a scrap board, then when you go to your project, you should be in a much better position to get quality work. And keep the tool in use, if it moves away from your project, lost the heat again on the scrap board. However, when it cools, I say just wait. I didn't have the patience & now use a "Hot Tool" with a lamp dimmer switch, which does not 'spike' or 'cool' & I'm a happy camper.

Hello Keith,
      Interesting to read about your having problems with your Burnmaster. I have been using them for some time and never a problem. I use pens from Detailmaster, Colwood, Optima and razrtip and never any difficulty. My lowest settings work fine for very small tips and have never had to turn up very high for any of the pens I use.
      Will your unit zero out at its lowest setting? If not, perhaps an adjustment of the output would do the trick. I have never had to open my units to attempt to lower the output but certain that it can be done. Contact Tim at woddcarverssupply.com and I feel that he may be able to answer your questions or assist with the power output situation. Great folks and be sure to speak with Tim, if at all possible. Hope this helps and saves you a few bucks.
      Ray