Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shading?

Shading?

So, up until now, all my work is just basic burnt or not ( i.e no shading ) but I'd like to try shading. It just never looks very good when I try.

Does anyone have any tips for shading, or techniques for this?

Regards

Jake

Re: Shading?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophernalia View Post
      So, up until now, all my work is just basic burnt or not ( i.e no shading ) but I'd like to try shading. It just never looks very good when I try.

Does anyone have any tips for shading, or techniques for this?

Regards

Jake

Hi Jake

Im only learning Shading myself Im sure you,ll get sound advice.........but the basic movement to Begin [ thinking of a plane LANDING when you start............and TAKING OFF as you finish.............another good point is start BURNING WITH THE LOWEST HEAT

What Shader are yoiu using....or do you use to SHADE!! Jake like anything else its Practice Practice and more Practice
      Hope thats a little Help..............Im sure someone else will add a litle extra for you Good Luck just take your time

Kind Regards Mike
      Last edited by Winterkoning; 03-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.
      sometimes its better to listen .....than to talk
      Mike Durnford

http://s98.photobucket.com

Respect

There are many examples of good shading techniques, and it is hard in one post to give concrete advice. Check out any and all WIP's and Tutorials here and elsewhere. Check out publications by leading practitioners of the craft. Check Youtube for any tutorials or WIP's too.

It is a large subject on its own, but the basics are relatively easy to pick up. It can go from a simple overlap shade area to very precise lighting effects shading, and everything in between. There are quite a number of tip types that are very useful for shading, and, quite a number of different Pyrography Machines that use these wide variety of tips.

For starters which machine and tips are you using rght now? And, what type of work are you interested in developing? What wood do you use?

Steve
      The Journey Is Everything.
      http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlion View Post
      There are many examples of good shading techniques, and it is hard in one post to give concrete advice. Check out any and all WIP's and Tutorials here and elsewhere. Check out publications by leading practitioners of the craft. Check Youtube for any tutorials or WIP's too.

It is a large subject on its own, but the basics are relatively easy to pick up. It can go from a simple overlap shade area to very precise lighting effects shading, and everything in between. There are quite a number of tip types that are very useful for shading, and, quite a number of different Pyrography Machines that use these wide variety of tips.

For starters which machine and tips are you using rght now? And, what type of work are you interested in developing? What wood do you use?

Steve
      Thanks for the replies guys.

The machine I have is a Peter Childs, the tips are home made but I have some of that special wire so can make other / better ones

Woods are Birch plywood but also sycamore, although I don't do much on wood, the majority of work I do now is on leather.

I'd lone to be able to do thinks like animal portraits so I guess the shading is more texturing rather than anything else.Feathers, furs, scales etc etc

Hmm, thought I posted here already. Must be going crazy.

The machine is a Peter Child and I have some of that special wire so can make new / better tips.

The wood is mainly Birch Plywood and Sycamore. Haven't worked on wood for a while as the majority of my stuff is on leather at the moment.

Stuff I'd love to do is animals, so feathers, fur, hair, scales etc etc. I guess it's more texturing rather than shading, but the shading makes the texture

Hehe, pretty much what I am getting into Jake, i.e. Animal texturing.

I did used to use a Janik wire tip machine, very similar to the Peter Childs one you are using.

I would think about getting a variety of Razer shading tips here

There is a wide selection of shading tips for the wire machine, I tend to vary between 3 or 4 depending on what I am shading. Today I have been using a mini J Colwood tip but a smal round shader from the link is similar as is the medium, they do basically the same job. I am working on a picture of the Predator as in the film Predator V Aliens.

I also intend to practice Feathers and have purchased Susan Walters DVD 'Pyrography Workshop' - 'Hawk Portrait', and Sue shows some great shading techniques in there. I also have on order her book, which is available from Amazon which teaches fur in some animal tutorials, so looking forward to getting my copy (Which is delayed atm).

Check out some of the Tutorials here onsite too as some look at shading Susan Irish Barn Project for example as Sue Reviews the Optima machine here on site.

Plus one of our memebers I know of also uses the P.Childs machine and may be able to give some advice too.

I used to do mostly decorative designs, so over the years I have neglected shading and textures myself, hence my interest atm in the subject of shading you have raised. Any more questions feel free to ask and I will try and help you as I also help myself hehe, plus there are others with more experience in shading too who I am sure will add their own advice.

Sunlion.

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

Thanks for the replies Sunlion.

I shall have a browse around and see what I can find.

Thanks for the link to the tips May be easier for me to buy them rather than make lol ( I'm kinda lazy in that respect :P )

Aye Jake they can be a pain. I used to make some, but for durability and ease of use I buy them in now should I need them, excepot the simple wire writing tips I still make from time to time for drawing and outlining as they are par for the course.

You can hammer out some good tips if you get the heavier guage but it can be tedious having to hammer them out then pin-file them. Plus I use a relatively thin guage anyhow which makes it harder. The Razer ones do last a long time with care so I stick with these now.

Steve

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

HI I will just tel you what i like to do when it comes to shading .
      well first of all , i figure out which way the light will be coming from in the picture .
      because as you know when you look at something there is allways a light source (left,right ,top)
      once i get that figured out i know where i can make my shadows .for instance when you look at say a wrinkled shirt there has to be shadows where the light cant hit .
      i hope this helps it does take practice .

Shading takes time and practice. I have an ongoing conversation with Mike (winterkoning) that is about shading. Here are a few snips of what I have said so far in the shading conversation.

"remember the most important things in shading is low temps, always keep the pen in motion while in contact with the wood. If you get those dreaded blobs either the temp is to high or you set it down on the wood without it into the stroke motion.

I think one of the biggest issue with shading is the speed at which you stroke the pen being consistent. That will even out the shade you want to achieve. Anytime you get a blob it's either from inconsistent speed, the pen not being in motion or temp to hot.
      "

When burning fur I still do some shading before the fur gets burned. If you burn the fur or hair then shade it will soften the texture, which is fine if that is what you want to achieve. But many animals have a courser texture that others

With my bear I shaded first and with the golden eagle I just completed it shaded after because feathers are softer than the coarse hair of a bear. You can find those thru my signatur, it's a link to my WCI album (it's easier to just have 1 album for both boards)

The light direction as David just posted has an impact as well.
      Marcy
      My Burns