Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome to New Members

We've had a whole lot of new members over the past few months who I would like to welcome. Some of you have joined in and made yourselves known, but the majority have stayed silent. It would be really nice if you could introduce yourselves to the rest of us, especially those who have placed photos of their work in the Gallery section. If no announcement is made that a new photo has been added chances are hardly anyone will see it as we don't all check out the Galleries regularly.

C'mon folks, let's get this Forum working as a real online community - there are some great people here producing some super work. We need more communication!!
      Lesley
      Bedfordshire, England

www.wydon.co.uk

Blog Entries

Re: Welcome to New Members

Lesley,

Ok. I have made a couple of posts to ask questions and all. I posted 20 some pics of my work. Have been burning for a while just started working more ith it. I am a turner, so I turn a lot on my lathe and the burn on that. I callit "Turning and burning". Would love to read comments about my work. Suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,
      jim

Hi Jim, took a look-see at your work. WOW... very nice!

Your Zentangles: Nice command of line, pattern & shading.
      Different weighs add dimension to what could be a flat pattern.
      I'm more attracted to the sepia tone pieces, but the addition of color adds some life too.
      What are you using to color your pieces?

The Pre-2012 Turnings really struck me as little jewels of art.
      You obviously know how to tame a piece of wood.
      Don't know that I have any suggestions. You have a unique style.
      As long as your art brings you joy & customers are buying them: I say "carry on & go get 'em."

Here's a few questions: I see you've been doing shows in Virginia? Anywhere else?
      How do you feel customers are accepting pyrography as a form of art?
      Do you find yourself explaining the process a million times over? (me too)
      In general, are you happy with sales & responses you're getting?

Take care, Cate
      P.S. Love your avatar!!
      Last edited by catemcc; 04-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.
      Cate McCauley
      Pyrographic Illustrations
      Web Site: catemcc.com

I couldn't agree more, Cate. Jim your work is great, and we're very pleased to see you here.

I like your Avatar too - very clever and soo appropriate.
      Lesley
      Bedfordshire, England

www.wydon.co.uk

Blog Entries

I have done most of my shows in Virginia. Just starting to branch out. Have several friends and family looking for galleries in their area that might want to carry my work.

I feel that general public is very accepting of pyrography as an art form. My work has had great response where ever I show it. It is the price that scares most people. I sell the platters for $125.00 USD. Up until a few weeks ago I could only do checks and cash. Now I can do charge. With the economy like it is most don't want to part with much over $50.

Yes, I do explain the process over a trillion times. When ever I show I also demo. I have several pieces layed out at different levels of completion while I work on one piece. I love to talk to the people and teach them about it. I teach for Woodcraft. (www.woodcraft.com) Our store is going to start offering pyro classes that I will teach.

Overall I am very happy with responce to my work. Sales? Well, we all want to sell more. I try to keep my prices kinda low because I believe everyone should be able to buy good art.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello, I am new to doing anything like this. I started wood burning a couple of years ago as a Christmas project for my son. It has exploded sense then. I am a proud Texan as you can see from some of my work (quiltinb). I majored in Art in college, but I don't think I really found my medium until now. I learn something new with each project. I am also a retired teacher who now has time to work on art projects. I also enjoy seeing other peoples work.
      Beky

Welcome Beky - I'm sure you'll enjoy being part of this Forum - lots of friendly people here.
      Lesley
      Bedfordshire, England

www.wydon.co.uk

Leslie, Im new here. I have always loved the idea to learn how to woodburn. Im new and just begining this interest.
      Aimee Jones From california, USA

Hi Jim,
      I have to say my husband turns too. He's only been doing it for a couple of months now. His work is awesome like he's a pro at it already.

Aimee Jones

Welcome Aimee - if you have any questions regarding pyrography please ask 'em, don't be shy. We've all had to start somewhere and many of us took up the hobby waay before we knew there was anybody to ask. Now there are people here with so much woodburning knowlege and willing to share.
      Lesley
      Bedfordshire, England

www.wydon.co.uk