Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread

color in pyrography

hello everyone.
      im beginner in pyrography and the most hard thing for me is the coloring part.
      i used acrylic watercolor so far with bad results(looks like a bleached cloth).

i know you can use pastel,acrylic ,oil colors or the pencils(stabilo brand ones?).
      whats the best color to use mostly for backround and to look more traditional?
      thanks in advance.

ps:sorry for my bad english.

Re: color in pyrography

Hi Valantis. You want traditional look in the background? Could you define what you mean by traditional?

My opinion is that you choose a background to suit a particular design, I would not say there is a traditional background colour that Pyrographers use in general. Again it is all down to the style you are aiming for. Maybe you could post some example pictures that you are working on that you feel need a background.

Should you want a colour background, you need to build it up in thin washes to get the desired result, though you could go for a thicker coat as Acrylic does coat quiet well. You just have to take care around urn areas that you do not have the brush too wet, that it runs over areas (creeps alomn grain or gaps in burn lines).

Thin washes will soak in to the wood patchy if the wood has lots of different densities of grain, they will stay on the surface or soak in depending on that density in any given area. This can be aleviated a little by making sure of good preperation, ie, good smooth sanding, then several light even coats of pigment. Also sanding sealer can be used to seal the wood after sanding and this can help a little in getting an even coat, however keep in mind that Acrylic sanding sealers will give off harmful fumes when burned.

You can use ordinary watercolour, Goache or Acrylic in the ways mentioned above.

Also consider the shade of the wood, often the elements can look good painted and the background left as wood, this varies depending on what wood is used.

And lastly, one could also use wood dyes/stains for similar nice results, but again preperation is key and good burn lines in order to minimise stain creep into areas where it is not wanted.

Hope this helps a little, I am sure others will add their own ideas too.

Steve
      The Journey Is Everything.
      http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Pyro Community

Manchester UK

I use Prismacolor premier professional pencils.

You still have to build them up... you start out with a thin layer... use a q-tip and rub them into the wood... this brings out the grain.. and gives great smooth effect.

You can blend the pencils right on the wood... it works great... put a layer of blue and a layer over that of yellow.. then blend it together with the q-tip... or a blending stick... (colorless pencil built for blending) and you will get a nice color of green.

I like the q-tip on blending...on burns... because as I said... it blends, smooths..and presses the color into the grain of the wood.

Painting with acrylic COVERS completely the wood... whereas I want the wood grain to show through.

I think the key is either Top class Coloured Pencils and or Good Water Colours

When the work is completed use a Fixative you can then still Varnish BUT NOT STAIN

Here in Holland we use a Doezel a thick wooden Sort of Pencil once used for the blending... can be cleaned with light sanding

With out Colour Light Stain and Yatch Varnish Hope thats a Help Im sure other will add there Experiences here for you
      sometimes its better to listen .....than to talk
      Mike Durnford

http://s98.photobucket.com

Respect

Thumbs up Re: color in pyrography

thanks alot for the replies guys.

with traditional i mean dark colors(brown, for example).
      also forgot to mention that the color will bepainted around the pyrography.
      tried the acrylic and i got some decent results so far,but since im a beginner any techniques ,color combinations and ideas are more than welcome.

ps:the wood im burning is plywood(marin)6mm.

Quote Originally Posted by valantis View Post
      thanks alot for the replies guys.

with traditional i mean dark colors(brown, for example).
      also forgot to mention that the color will bepainted around the pyrography.
      tried the acrylic and i got some decent results so far,but since im a beginner any techniques ,color combinations and ideas are more than welcome.

ps:the wood im burning is plywood(marin)6mm.

Try Water colours in light washes.... and build up the layers... just like the Burning shading techique that will help you achieve what your after I think!!

Kind Regards Mike
      sometimes its better to listen .....than to talk
      Mike Durnford

http://s98.photobucket.com

Respect